Thursday, February 25, 2010

Aidan Goes to the Dojo

Welcome to the dojo!


Alethea and I have been asked several times to open a dojo for the community. I have been teaching aikido for Wasatch Academy but my evenings have been taken up by graduate school and writing my book. Now that both of those things are done, we finally have some evenings to dedicate to a community dojo. -And it is MUCH more fun than graduate school!



Of course, the star of the show is Aidan, who has been in the dojo since he was born but only recently began his official training. Front rolls, back rolls, various throwing and pinning techniques: Aidan is a natural athlete and learning VERY quickly.The students love to step offline avoiding the downward strikes from bamboo swords. Here my senior student Steve and I aim and swing at the children... How often do you hear that? hehe.
Here Aidan is performing Ikkyo, the first technique. Aidan looks so serious but he has so much fun in aikido. I think he just wanted to make a tough-guy face for the camera. Most of the time he is smiling ... Which of course, brings me great joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment